2008-06-11

It's easy, huh?



Sometimes at my work place, I can get really and crazily busy. I think part of the reasons is that the deliverables deadline is usually so close. But I would not mind at all for being busy once in awhile, for I usually don’t have many things to work on.

Today I would like to share with you about one mistake that I usually do. I see it’s coming all the time, but I never learn. Have you ever tried to solve a math problem? Or answer questions on an examination? Most people are trying so hard to answer the difficult questions first before they get to the easy ones. They think this way can buy them some time, but in fact, if they are so into what they are doing and get stuck, yet they don’t want to drop what they are doing, time can fly very quickly. At the end, they may or may not even finish the easy questions. It happens to me all the time when I was trying to work on something at work. Being a programmer, each time I code up something, I usually jump into the hard parts first. Some work that I think it might take only a little of my time, I leave it behind. But when I am really stuck with the complicated coding logic, it’s going to be a pain in a rear of time consuming. Worse than that, my easy tasks still get left behind. Then when I change my mind to put the difficult ones on hold, and go back to work on the easy ones, guess what, sometimes those easy ones can turn out to be more difficult than what I expect, or sometimes I feel rush and the result does not turn out very well. Also, I realize that once we put all our energy into solving a difficult question that yet still not get solved, our mind becomes exhausted to even continue solving the easy question.

Under estimating is not a wise thing to do. If two tasks are the same important, work on the ones that you think are easy (maybe?) first. On the other hand, if one task is more critical than the other, then work on the critical one first regardless it is difficult or not.

This is my experience and mistake that I often time make, and from now on, I want to stop making the same mistake about this again. What about you?

8:34 PM | Posted by Pheng | , with 0 comments »

0 comments