2008-07-15

Apartment's Dilemma





I am still looking for an apartment. I found one, which is the place that I used to live at. It’s close to Boise River, which I like because I like to go for a walk in the evening sometime. It’s also close to Boise State University and Boise Downtown. But I am having a dilemma here about whether I should choose the first or the third floor?

I have been thinking about this the whole evening. My current landlord won’t allow me to move out until August 13th because I didn’t give the notice to him until July 13th. By law, I am supposed to give a 30 day notice for moving out. My new landlord, on the other hand, won’t allow me to move in to the first floor’s apartment on August 13th, meaning I have to move in there by August 1st. If I want to move in on August 13th, then I have to move in to another available apartment, which is located on the third floor. My dilemma is pretty much about pros and cons of living downstairs and upstairs. I got a few opinions from friends and they are all stuck in my mind. Sometimes, it helps to learn something new from people’s opinions although it can appear to some people that it’s just a common sense. I believe in life-long learning. Each person has different beliefs and understanding of how things work. It is not a shame for not knowing the common sense, but rather when you are afraid to ask because you think people might look at you as stupid as not getting common sense. Remember that, something might make sense to you more than to them and vice versa.

In the meantime, my current landlord is also trying to have my apartment rented by August 1st. If he can do that, then I don’t have to stay until August 13th. But I don’t want to put my hope too high on this. I have been contemplating on this, and I think I am going to go with this decision. If my current landlord can get my current apartment rented on August 1st, then I am going to take the new apartment’s first floor. If not, then I will take the new apartment’s third floor. Also, it will depend upon my tour at those units, which will not happen until July 29th. We’ll see about that. Meanwhile, I will keep looking at other apartment’s complex. I learn one thing that sometimes when we feel rushed to make decision without doing some thinking and research first, later on we tend to have a second thought. Therefore, we should sleep on the decision for an evening or a day or so before we make the final one, and try to find possible options out there that work for us.

P.S: Posted photos were taken when I first moved in to the apartment over there.

If you enjoy reading this, you may want to subscribe

10:55 PM | Posted by Pheng | , , with 2 comments »

2 comments

  1. Anonymous // July 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM  

    Pheng,

    I know from experience that anytime you move it involves a lot of things to think about. The worst part is making a decision that you later regret, and one that you have to live with for an extended period of time. Sometimes I think going with your gut feeling is best. But, also, I think it's important to ask as many questions you can about costs, lease terms, etc. At least this way you can mitigate any surprises up front and have fewer regrets later on.

    This topic reminds me of relationships. Often we go with our gut feeling when we meet someone, but I think it's wise to also spend time and ask lots of questions of the other person before you make any big commitments. Just like so many things in life, it's a whole lot easier to get into something than to get out of it...one can go to the local Target, Wal Mart, Best Buy or where ever, and complete your purchase at the checkout in just seconds...but returning the item can be a hassel and can take a very long time.

    This is one of my favorite quotes that I think kinda sums it up:

    "I'd rather go through life wanting something I can't have than having something I don't want"...Anonymous

    Lan T.

  2. Pheng // July 16, 2008 at 6:40 PM  

    Lan, this is a very good comment and you do have the point there about apartment search experience and relationship.