Yesterday night, I drove by a local clinic in Boise called Primary Health. It reminds me of my first time going to the clinic that is outside of campus. That time I was going to Boise State University and paid the university’s health insurance. However, one day I was so sick. I had a major sore throat that I felt I was almost going to die. So since the university’s health office did not work on the weekend, I called a local hospital in Boise and described about my illness. The nurse asked me a few questions and told me to go to the Primary Health since it was the only clinic that opened on the weekend, and especially they accepted Boise State’s health insurance. So I went there. I got myself checked with the doctor, so on and so forth, then paid everything with my Boise State’s health insurance card. The following week, I found out that BSU’s health insurance had the so-called deductable policy. I was like what the heck was that. I did not have a clue about that policy whatsoever because I never got really sick and went to the clinic outside of the school. But anyway, I was just so shocked to find out that I had to pay those amounts of money to the clinic out of my own pocket.

You see, during that time I was so regretful that I went to the clinic and should have gone to the school first. But again, the school did not open and I felt like crap due to the sore throat. Yet, I still felt regretful because generally speaking, I paid for the school’s insurance, and I had to pay the money to the clinic out of my pocket and not with my insurance due to the deductable policy. However, I later looked at it as a good experience about health insurance in America. I took that as an experience to learn from and to grow culturally about the American way of health insurance’s policy. Coming all the way from Cambodia to the US, there were things that I did not quite understand about the whole American way of doing things, and even now still, but I am always open minded and look at those as a learning process to adjust myself with American culture. So in the end, spending money for something that I was not aware of was not that bad, and what I gained from it was the knowledge of health insurance in America, which prepared me for the future when I signed up for any health insurance companies or even through work’s health insurance, and not to mention, now when people say deductable word, I know what that means.

My point is, sometimes if you misspend money on something that you regret afterwards or should not have spent in the first place, do not regret or discouraged. Look at it as a life experience and a valuable mistake that you can learn from to prevent reoccurring in the future. I think if you can spend money on a valuable lesson, it would worth better than spending money with willing. 

To receive updates from "Live Life to the Fullest" blog, you may want to subscribe

8:23 AM | Posted by Pheng | with 0 comments »

0 comments