2008-08-18

Self-forgiveness



Just a few days, I have been doing many things that I have never done before. Trying new things can be fun, but what if they are something that goes against your self and your initial purpose?

Feeling guilty is not a healthy emotion to have, but it’s always part of our emotions. When we feel guilty, we know that there’s something wrong consciously. I always think that I know what I am looking for, but somehow these few days I have been doing something that goes against that. The nature of self has been contaminated by the temptation and guilt. All I have is, someone that I really don’t know anymore when I look at myself in the mirror.

However, I learn to forgive myself. I learn how to embrace my bad and naughty moments. They were mistakes that make me become more alert about temptations around in the future. I can fool the world, but there’s one person that I cannot fool no matter what, and he is “me.” I tend to be very self-conscious. Everything that I did, it usually turns into my self-reflections. Some I fail to learn from, and some I succeed to not make the same mistakes. But the point is, we have to learn how to love ourselves. No matter how big the stupid mistakes we made, and how shady our pasts are, we have to learn how to embrace those bad things and call them “experiences.” Otherwise, with judgments flowing around this society, people can really kill you without using any weapons. More importantly, if we just wallowed in what has been done, it will be just a waste of time. We have to learn how to forgive ourselves. There’s really no need to beat yourself up. You can be hard on yourself for this moment, but promise yourself that after this moment you will be fine just like the cloud will be clear after the rain. Forgiveness is often time associated with responsibilities. Remember how you first touched the fire? Then you swore to god that you would never touch it again? It’s the same as forgiveness. If something that you do and it makes you feel bad or uncomfortable, then stop doing it and forgive yourself. I am pretty sure as human beings, we have the provided intelligence to realize that fact.

I here forgive myself, what are you waiting for? You are your own destiny and guilt-healer!

To receive updates from "Live Life to the Fullest" blog, you may want to subscribe

6:29 PM | Posted by Pheng | , , with 1 comments »

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // August 19, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

    Pheng,

    This is a very good topic. Self-forgiveness is something that we all should practice. Otherwise, you will just spend your life full of regrets,feeling bad about yourself, and never move forward. So many people get into the trap of not forgiving themselves. You can't let this happen.

    I'm interested in your comment that you said you have been feeling guilty lately, as you have somehow violated your conscience? This touches on something I mentioned the other day, when I quoted CS Lewis who made the observation that "we all have this internal moral compass, where we know what we should do, but more times than not we do something else". At the same time, "we want and expect others to treat us with the highest moral standards". Hence, the human dilemma...something we all struggle with, and unless we are able to embrace the idea of forgiveness to ourselves, and to others...we will forever, I think, be bitter, full of anger, and never realize our full potential in life. Of course, CS Lewis questions what is the source of this internal moral compass, but that is perhaps a topic for another discussion.

    J. Lan Tucker