2008-08-04

Comparing



One of my high school friends in Cambodia sent me a message in Facebook about his wedding day. I went to read his profile and looked at his fiancé’s photo. She’s from Canada, and he’s working for an IT firm now. All the sudden, I went crazy and wallowed myself in self-destructed sadness. I started to compare my life and his life. I started to think about the past, what if I did not come to the States? What if I stayed in Cambodia, would my life be the same as his? By now, would I get married already? Etc.

Then, I started to realize that, there were and will always be decisions in our life waiting for us to make them. Two choices of going for it or not going for it are always there that involve risks and opportunities. Whether we choose the first choice or the second choice, we don’t know what is going to happen for sure. Now, I can try to “if” this and that about the past; however, I did not know what I would end up now by then if I go for the other path/choice.

Moreover, comparison sucks! When we compare our life to other people’s life, we only make ourselves miserable. All we think of is the other person’s prosperity, and obviously, we ignore everything that we have accomplished and owned so far. The fact is that we all are created in a unique way. If we live our life by comparing with others, then life is not going to be about creating yourself, but rather about finding yourself. Comparison makes us look bad to ourselves and desperately want something that the other person has. When we live in a life like that, it’s nothing but a disaster of self.

This is the lesson that I learned a week ago, what about you?

To receive updates from "Live Life to the Fullest" blog, you may want to subscribe

12:17 PM | Posted by Pheng | , , , with 0 comments »

0 comments