2008-09-14

Happy As We Are


For these few days, I have been focusing on what I am having. I have been counting the blessing of things that happen to me and things that I own. I feel that, in life, if we focus on things that we have instead of things that we don’t have, life will be much better.

Every time after clubbing, if I drive, I only drink one beer. But every time I get home safely without any accidents or getting pulled over by the police, I feel so thankful for that. This makes me realize that the gratitude is the way to comfort one’s soul. What we really have in life really is our lives. Just the fact that we appreciate the gift of life means that we know how to enjoy life.

Another thing is the issue of “don’t have.” When we look at the magazine, TV, movies, or whatsoever things out there that have the good body men and women, we tend to start thinking that “I wish I had that kind of body.” We want a lot out of life. That’s the symptom of feeling envious. We compare what we have with other people and focus on the things that those people have. We fail to realize the things that we have and in fact, other people might feel envious to have as well.

When envy occurs, our self-esteem is hurt. We no longer see the worth of ourselves, and consequently, we no longer enjoy things and people that love us in our lives. We spend time wallowing ourselves in agony of raising the question “Why cannot I have that like he or she does?” But as cliché as it sounds, everyone is different. 

You must focus on where you are at now. The past is done, and what you have is “now” that will become your past again, but it is this “now” that you can make a difference for your future. The importance of self-discovery is that we are happy the way we are.

To receive updates from "Live Life to the Fullest" blog, you may want to subscribe

8:23 AM | Posted by Pheng | , , , with 0 comments »

0 comments